The first confectionery produced at Fazer's factory was called the Imperial mix. One of the very first was also the Kiss-Kiss caramel. It soon became very popular and is for sale even in our days. The demand for confectionery grew, the assortment and operations grew and in September 1897 Fazer celebrated the opening of the company's own property and new four-floor factory at Tehtaankatu.
The products won prizes at international exhibitions, which made it possible to start exports. The first export shipment, so-called Greek pastilles, was bound for England in 1898. The company exported marmalade and chocolate confection to Scandinavia, Germany, Belgium, Holland and England, as well as America, Africa and Australia. Export goods were proudly marked ‘Made in Finland’.
Karl Fazer's basic principle was that the sale of goods is determined by good taste and high quality. Each product needed to be made a ‘dress’. Famous artists, such as Akseli Gallen-Kallela, drew pictures for the wrappings. Labels pictured great men and packaging was used to make statements. Wrapping paper was used to congratulate Jean Sibelius on his birthday, and Paavo Nurmi ran in front of the blue cross flag on top of a tin box for pastilles. Blue was an important symbolic colour for Karl Fazer. To him, it represented the Finnish nature he was so fond of and, ultimately, the independent home country. Karl Fazer Milk Chocolate in blue wrapping, which was born on basis of a gift recipe in 1922, is a well-kept product and brand.