Global food production accounts for more than 30 per cent of global greenhouse gas emissions, 70 per cent of fresh water consumption, and 80 per cent of deforestation (UNEP). It is the largest single cause of species and biodiversity loss, and also a cause of eutrophication and water pollution. Nevertheless, one third of all food produced for human consumption in the world is lost or wasted annually.
Fazer depends on the long-term availability of raw materials, therefore it is important that we work to minimise the environmental impacts that arise from our operations.
Reducing our environmental impact
The most significant direct environmental impacts of Fazer’s production facilities and restaurants arise from the energy and water consumption, waste and by-products. To manage the environmental impacts, many production sites and restaurants are certified to ISO 14001 and have adopted the principles of Lean. In addition, Fazer works to minimise our impacts thought research, product development and innovative recipes and menus.
Fazer also addresses the indirect environmental impacts of our operations through the raw materials and services we source. You can read more about our work for a responsible value chain here.
Fazer's environmental objectives
Fazer’s environmental programme consists of five focus areas: energy, waste, raw material loss, water, sustainable farming and environmental awareness. Fazer has set objectives that define the ambitions within each focus area. The success of fulfilling each objective is measured through KPIs and meeting the set targets listed below.
Reduce climate impact & increase energy efficiency
- Fazer will use 20% less energy per produced item by year 2020
- 70% of Fazer's electricity consumption will be renewable by 2017
Prevent waste & loss of raw materials
- Fazer will cut waste by 10% per produced tonne until 2020 (Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania).
- Zero waste to landfill (Finland, Sweden, Latvia, Lithuania)
- Increase recycling by 10% (Russia)
- Fazer Cafés will develop a process for donating unsold food to charity by 2016
- Fazer Cafés will develop procedures for reduction of organic waste by 2016
- Gateau will reduce display waste by 40% until 2020
- Fazer will decrease food waste (storage and display) in restaurants by 5g/portion by 2017
- Through campaigning and portioning development, Fazer will reduce plate waste (guest) in restaurants by 5g/portion by 2017
Manage and use water resources responsibly
- Develop a Water Management Plan by 2017
- Fulfil commitment to Baltic Sea Action Group by 2017 to improve the quality of water in the Baltic Sea
Support sustainable farming & prevent loss of biodiversity
- Source 100% RSPO certified sustainable palm oil with increased traceability by 2020
- Purchase 100% RSPO segregated palm oil for confectionery products by 2016
- Develop a Fazer Grain Vision by 2016
- Develop and implement a Fazer Deforestation Policy by 2016
- Support GAP in cocoa farming as per the cocoa vision and Fazer's criteria