Fazer's water stewardship commitment brings together all those measures that Fazer employs to ensure sustainable use of water.
The water stewardship commitment challenges Finnish companies and organisations to identify the water risks in their value chains, and to develop sustainable use and management of water. Aalto University, the Natural Resources Institute Finland (Luke), the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, the Ministry of the Environment, VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland and WWF Finland have established the Finnish water stewardship commitment as a part of the social commitment to sustainable development in order to support the sustainability work related to water by companies.
"We are dependent on nature and water."
"We operate in eight countries and source ingredients raw materials from all over the world. We are dependent on nature and water. At the same time, our actions have a direct impact on the water quality of the regions and the quality of waste water in the regions we operate in, as well as an indirect impact through the whole chain." says Sari Sarin, Fazer Sustainability Director.
- Improve the water consumption measurement and define a target/s in our operational sites
- Implementation of waste water project and improving wastewater quality
- Develop environmental incident reporting and environmental incident preparedness
- Setting targets for using water risk tool in sites
Measures related to the value chain
- Implementation of Grain Vision and adoption of the sustainable grain farming principles
- Initiate and emphasize water risks in supplier dialogues. Set water related requirements in supplier requirements.
- Investigate risk mitigation in key supply chains and key commodities.
- Participation to the stakeholder dialogue on water related topics